Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Training Strategies

Last weekend I went on an awesome trail run with the Saturday group. Only three of us actually showed up because of the difficulty involved in the run. It involved a 3000 ft climb and then descent over the course of 8 miles. I turned into more of a I got thinking about everything I have coming up and that I really should develop a plan of attack.

Here's what's coming up for me in the next few months.
June 5-Pacing my friend Supercords the last 17 miles of his 50 miler race
June 18-19: Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay
June 26: Lehi Roundup 10K (depends on how I am doing after Ragnar)
July 5: Freedom Festival 10k (we'll see if the shirt fits me)
August: TBD
August 28: Running the Gap Marathon
Fall: TBD, but I'd like to get another Marathon in before winter
April 2011: 50K in Southern Utah

I've looked around on various sites to see what programs out there would work best for me. I know the basics...speedwork, easy runs, hills, tempo, long runs, but there is something about having it broken down day by day and week by week. I finally settled on Runner's World with a few added tweaks to their schedule. Even though I don't follow it to the letter, it gives me a good estimate of where I should be.

What programs do the rest of you follow or do you just create your own?

3 comments:

  1. Right now I'm sort of creating my own. But, it is sort of a combo of Hal Higdon Int II and whatever I feel like. But, I'm only running 4x a week which is nice, but it needs to be 5x a week to be where I want to be.

    I've looked at the RW plans. I like that they still get in a lot of miles but usually are only 4x a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a nice summer lined up! I'll be doing Ragnar too (18 weeks pregnant!) and I can't wait!
    I just make up my own stuff. That way I can give myself lots of "rest" days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consulted a bunch of online schedules, and then I created my own hybrid, which I then completely ignored as real life got in the way. Good luck with yours :)

    ReplyDelete