Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lehi Roundup Celebration 5k/10k

What have I been doing since the Utah Valley Marathon. Here are some stats:

Days running: 1
Distance run: 4 miles

Pretty impressive, huh?

After the Utah Valley Marathon, I have been consumed in getting ready for the Lehi City celebration. I race direct the 10k/5k races for the celebration event. Here is just a glimpse into what the past few days looked like. If I do bullets, it will make the list look even more impressive.

  • Wednesday June 26: shirts finally arrive at 5:00 pm. I take all the packets and shirts to Fleet Feet in anticipation to the packet pickup June 27-28. We've exceeded our numbers from last year and I'm a little nervous that I didn't order enough of everything. 
  • Thursday June 27: I have bribed my son to be in charge of packet pickup all day at Fleet Feet. I'm at a client's all day. We've decided that we'll do a second order of t-shirts if we run out. This in turn is a blessing in disguise because a lot of people who registered late asked.
  • Thursday June 27: I picked up 650 cartons of chocolate milk, brought them home and put them all in my freezer. Next year, I'll plan the chocolate milk storage better.
  • Friday June 28: I got enough volunteers from the high school kids to cover packet pickup for the day. The HS Cross Country team is volunteering at the race in exchange for a contribution from the city to their team. My son and I spend the rest of the day doing all the small things in an effort to not be as swamped on Saturday morning. We packed up the leftover packets/t-shirts and dropped off all the other supplies at the starting location and were finished about 8:30 pm.
  • Saturday 3:00 am. I drag myself out of bed and get in the shower. I debate it, but decide I may not get a shower until late and the temp is supposed to be in the mid-80s before 11:00 am. The countdown clock starts. 
  • Saturday 4:30-5:30 am. We need to be completely set up by 5:30 am. I'm stuck on the course getting last minute directional signs up and I'm not back until 5:30 am. The city is supposed to be dropping off my tables and stuff by 5:30 and they don't come until 6. 
  • Saturday 6:00 am. Registration and packet pickup is finally up, but its rather chaotic.
  • Saturday 6:30 am. We get the music started and things start to chill.
  • Saturday 7:00 am. 10K starts. 15 minute countdown to the 5k start.
  • Saturday 7:15 am. 5K starts. I have a few minutes to chat with some of my vendors who came before it's time to get the post race food out, tables set up for awards, etc.
  • Saturday 8:30 am. We're giving out awards, prize giveaways, awards, etc.
  • Saturday 9:30-10:30 am. We clean up fast, pack the jeep
  • Saturday 10:30 am - 11:30 am. We watch the parade as it goes by. We'd rather leave, but we're boxed in at our location.
  • Saturday 12:00 - 3:30 pm. Finish tearing down the course, dropping off supplies, picking up our table, etc.. It's been almost 13 hours.

Here is a list of what we had for 600 runners.

  • 600 runners
  • 25 gallons of water along the course
  • 900 cups of water
  • 1200+ Fat Boy Ice Cream Sandwiches
  • Smoothie King samples
  • 50 pounds of bananas
  • 25 pounds of oranges
  • 900 bottles of water
  • 650 pints of chocolate milk
All in all the race was awesome. The participants had a great time. It's been an exhausting time and I feel as though I just finished a marathon. I'll do it again an instant. 

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this next year - I keep forgetting that you are in charge of it.
    I'm thinking of the Vigor 13.1 - straight down Big Cottonwood Canyon. PR, much? And what do you know about the new Utah marathon in October?