Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Huntington City 1/2 Marathon Flashback

As I prepare to undertake my race this weekend, I received an e-mail from a college friend. We spent our undergrad college years together and stayed in touch since. He related to me his first half marathon experience and I thought I'd share it.

I really enjoyed the half that I ran while training for St. George. It was over the 4th of July weekend. Huntington City was sponsoring a fun run 5K, 10K and 1/2. I registered and showed up on race day. We all loaded up into a school bus and began the drive. When we go to the 1/2 marathon starting line all the participants were asked to exit.

When I got off the bus I was surprised to find out that I was the only participant in the 1/2. So a person said go and started the stop watch. I began to run and everyone else loaded the bus and went down the canyon to the 10 K starting line. I had a police car tail me for the entire half marathon. The water stops had a few cups to choose from.

While it really didn't give me the experience of running against or with a group. I did provide some fun memories. 1) flashbacks of the OJ Simpson slow speed chase.... Very slow and minus a white bronco. 2) The only time I ever have (or probably ever will) take first place in a race. 3) My PR time for running a 1/2 marathon. I think I may own the Huntington city record for 1/2 marathon for my age group.


I've been to a few races where there were under 50 racers, but never have I experienced being the sole runner. As I have heard in the sporting world over and over, a win is a win is a win. So, a toast to Brian for taking on the Huntington City 1/2. I wonder if I can get in on the action this next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment