Sunday, January 20, 2013

Worse than the Treadmill

What is it about stationary exercise equipment that drives me nuts? Why do I enjoy being outside in 10 degree weather with frost on my face, sucking in the inversion filled air of January more than a run in climate controlled space with a tv in front of me? After all, I like sitting in front of the tv. It shouldn't bother me, right? It does.

I have a stationary bike. My wife got it for me for Christmas. She wanted to get a treadmill, but the ones she wanted to get were out of her budget. But she got the bike for a great deal. It's a great machine and works really well, but I hate it too. I'm no biker. I have a mountain bike that is currently involved in a study to see how long it would take the environment to reclaim an unused bike. I would get it out and ride it, but far be it from me to interfere with science.

Unfortunately, the stationary bike is just an evil cousin to the treadmill. I get on it and the only thing that consumes my thoughts are 1. how slow it is taking and 2. how long until I am finished. I get a good workout on the bike and can see how it will be effective in my training. It also takes pressure off my toe which is still healing (although I am now able to run as long as I have it taped). The thought of getting on the bike fills me with dread as much as running on the treadmill.

I know people who love the treadmill and the bike. They loath to be outside. They enjoy the climate controlled environment. They don't enjoy to be outside. In fact, today I was talking with a friend about it and he was amazed that I would even attempt to run in this cold weather. We compared notes and I couldn't understand why he would enjoy going to the gym every day when he could run outside. I guess we're just two different people. Although, I feel like when the Apocolypse happens and the zombies come after me, I'll be in a better position to escape because I will be used to running outside. My friend sadly will be lunch as he can only run in one spot.... it was nice to know him. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment