Monday, May 11, 2009

I Didn't Want to Run in Your Race Anyway....

The results of the lottery are in and I'm not headed to St. George for the fall marathon. Here's how it all played out.

I logged on early this afternoon to see if they were sticking to their 5 PM MST time or if that was just the time it would for sure be up. It wasn't posted yet. My wife and I picked up the kids from school, blew off the rest of the afternoon and went to see 17 Again (because we had passes and it was that or Hanna Montana.) My IT Band on the left leg has been giving me fits since the 1/2 marathon so I had it propped up. As I sat there remembering when I was 17 and squandered all that energy on things like video games, movies, late night parties with friends my thoughts turned to running and what it would be like to have all that energy again and run in the St. George Marathon.

Promptly upon leaving the theater, I turned my phone back on to see the e-mail from the marathon people. My heart beat a little faster and I was anticipating what where we would go to celebrate. I read through the contents of the e-mail to discover that I had not made the cut. How could that be? Don't they know who I am? Haven't they gotten the memo about the possibility of their race being my first marathon? Obviously there was an error in their systems. I re-read the e-mail a couple times, then told the family the grim news.

If I had made the cut, I would be on my way to the gym with the wife as she goes to her first personal trainer session (I did well this Mother's Day and got her 6 sessions with a PT.) Instead I got a smoothie and checked my sprinklers for the upcoming watering season. At least they are working...mostly.

I am now in the dilemma as to a fall race. I'm working on a mid-summer race and have a few 5K races lined up, but no fall race to cap off my running. I guess I'm in the hunt for something in the fall. If anyone knows of something, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you feel about travel, but Baltimore puts on a great race in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Top of Utah marathon is the 3rd weekend of September in Logan. It's a beautiful course, with fantastic support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't get in :(. Hope you can find another race. Are you willing to go to Detroit? The Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete