Monday, November 9, 2009

Construction and recovery

A little over a week ago I started developing some calf and thigh pain. It wasn't anything I considered out of the ordinary. I have been working on slowly increasing my weekly mileage. The goal was six days a week with 10 miles average each day. To accomplish this, I have been slowly working up to that. I started at 4 miles/ 6 days a week for two weeks and then add a mile, etc.

Last week was my first week of 7 miles/day. I made it through Monday, but Monday night I started in with some really bad pain in my upper thigh area. I rolled it and took some ibuprofen and opted to do a Tuesday evening run instead of a Tuesday morning. I made it through about 3/4 mile on the track before I couldn't move. After some research, it looks to be the back upper thigh muscle that connects to the hip. The only solution is to stop running and let it heal. This was not in the cards and i'm a bit pissed about it. I missed a Saturday group run and the weather has been perfect and unusually warm for November. I'm giving it two more days before I schedule an appointment to have it checked out.

The good news is that my downstairs is getting completed. We finished a room in the spring and then we gutted the other room that the previous owners had thrown together. I re-framed much of the room, re-wired the whole thing and insulated every single wall in the room. I started the sheetrocking myself until my little injury put a stop to it. I had two options...wait for the leg to heal or hire someone. I went with the hiring someone plan. As I type, the melodious sounds of sheetrock being put up, screw being put in and the satisfaction that by the end of this week, I should be able to paint. That's one room down, one bathroom and one laundry room/pseudo-office to go. The office area just needs the sheetrock (after we take everything and put it in storage).

Ideally, I'll be back on the road by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment