Friday, September 4, 2009

New Book Friday

I have discovered a whole new selection of books that I never knew existed. I'm an avid reader. I'm on the library's preferred donor list. I keep asking them if I can just put down like $50 every January to cover late fees. Whatever is left over at the end of the year, they can keep. I have been turned down every year. Our local library isn't as large as some of the other neighboring cities, but it has definitely improved in the time I have lived here (coincidence that after I move in they decide to expand the library. I could probably have a wing dedicated by now)?

So the first book on the list is:
Is Your Dog Gay? by Charles Kreloff, Patty Brown, Victoria Roberts
This is not really a question that has kept me up at night. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I just figured the dog was straight and that was it. Now that i've read this title I'm beginning to think that maybe we have bit to do with it. I remember having more than one pet that I attached a boy name to only to find out it was a girl and then switch the name. I probably contributed to my pet's sexual preference. This could be a really good book. When I eventually get another dog, I will for sure pick this one up.

Next up:


Do-It-Yourself Coffins: For Pets and People by Dale Power and Jeffrey Snyder
Another book of high value for me. I am a person and we currently have a cat. We have had various goldfish and a gerbil who have all been buried somewhere along our property. This book may have been handy to have. I think I would refrain from building my own coffin although maybe it could save me a few bucks and my surviving family could use the extra cash for a really big party. It didn't get very good reviews so I think I will pass.

Finally:


Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification by Julian Montague
I wonder if Julian spent some time as a homeless person? Here's an excerpt from the book listing:
Working in the naturalist's tradition, the photographs depict the diversity of the phenomenon and carry a surprising emotional charge; readers inevitably begin to see these carts as human, at times poignant in their abandoned, decrepit state, hilariously incapacitated, or ingeniously co-opted. The result is at once rigorous and absurd, enabling the layperson to identify and classify their own cart spottings based on the situation in which they were found.

I'm in the mountain west and out here we don't go out of our way to look for abandoned shopping carts.
This is definitely something that has me intrigued. Is it a growing problem in the East? I haven't seen any 20/20 specials. I haven't heard of any Senate bills designed to use my dollars to track down wild shopping carts. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Anyone been out running and come across a shopping cart? If so, were you able to identify it?

No comments:

Post a Comment