Friday, April 17, 2009

Pre-Race update

Tomorrow is the big day. The day I see if all my work and training has paid off. I drove up and picked up my race bag, shirt and chip yesterday and walked around the expo. I was looking for more vendors, more free swag, etc.. because I am a swag addict. I got a set of golf balls, but nothing else. I picked up a couple gels. They didn't have the flavor I like, so I picked up a couple I'm ok with and a couple more. I'll bring a couple for the race and save the others for another day.

My number is 9009. A record turnout is expected this year and there is definitely some buzz in the air. I ran up to the store to get some pasta sauce for my own pasta dinner tonight and there were two different sets of conversations about the race. It'll be an early morning for me. If my wife opts to drive me up then I can sleep in a little longer. If I drive myself and take the shuttle then I get to leave at about 5:15 am to have time to get the shuttle, get to the start, wait in line for the bathrooms, etc.

I am a little concerned on the temperature. We woke up yesterday to 7 inches of snow...I think that was the most snow in one storm than we got all winter. I tweaked my back a little shoveling so it is a little sore, but I don't expect it to hamper my run. I'm sure if I was racing for first then it would be an issue, but if I was racing for first, would I be out shoveling??

One thing I enjoy about races (other than the free swag) is the upcoming race flyers. Turns out there is another Huntington 1/2 marathon in the fall. I e-mailed my buddy who took first place a few years ago and asked if he was interested. He told me he'd think about it, but I was welcome to stay at his place. I've got some time to work on him.

That's it for today, I'll post tomorrow or Sunday with my thoughts on the race and if I am ready to take it to the next level or hang around the 1/2 marathon for a while.

1 comment: