Saturday, April 11, 2009

Signs of Spring

Friday, the signs of Spring were all around us. As I took the kids to school, there were groups of people outside walking or running. The kids were asking why there were so many people on the road. I told them it was a sign of Spring when people move from the gym to the road. In a few weeks it will tapper off. I wondered if maybe I had missed a little known holiday.


One of the most obvious signs of Spring was that the strollers were out in force. The same moms that take up all the lanes of the track at the gym (even the ones reserved for running only) were all out of the roads. As my disclaimer, let me state that I have a lot of respect for those people who get outside and walk or run. They are definitely improving their health. The problem with some people on the road is that they forget that it isn't the track at the gym. At the gym if they take up all the lanes, a runner will generally weave in and out of their groups or politely ask them to move over. It's different on the road. There are cars. I generally move over a little when passing bikers or runners so that they have some extra room, but there were a couple moms walking side by side with their strollers without a care in the world. I had to slow down and move into the lane of opposite traffic so I wouldn't hit them. In return for my courtesy, I got a nasty look by one of the mom's as if I had disturbed her space. It is definitely a sign of Spring.

-----
On another note, regardless of where I end up next weekend, I am still prepping for a half marathon. My long runs have been rather week lately. Yesterday I informed everyone in the family that I would be running 12 miles and to just plan on me being gone for at least 2 hours. I headed for the Jordan River Trail which in the summer is a really beautiful run. In the winter it is rather bland, but a nice change up from the roads. The weather was a bit iffy, but I was determined to get in my 12 no matter what it decided to do. When I got out of the car, I looked up at the sky and told it to give me 2 hours and took off. The route was a nice change from my usual residential area. It had just the right amount of curves, some slight hills and a couple good hills to keep the routine mixed.

I made it about 8 miles before the weather decided it had waited long enough. I ran about 2 miles in the wind/rain, but then I turned a corner and it all stopped. I was able to finish off the last 4 miles with no rain and just a warm breeze. It's like the wind/rain put me to the test to see if I was truly committed to my run or if i would wimp out. I won!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about people not going single file. I try to move too when I'm in the car, but sometimes there's just no where to go.

    ReplyDelete