Friday, March 5, 2010

A Runner's Guide to Street Signs

Yesterday was a perfect morning for a run and a great opportunity to explore. I'm warming up to the off road runs to the point where I'm thinking my next pair of shoes will be a trail pair. I'm no where near considering an Ultra marathon or anything. I'm focused on the Riverton Half and my following runs, but adding in some trails makes it interesting.

I read signs differently now. I never knew that there was a secret runner language until I started running. Here are some examples:

• Caution Do Not Enter = If it isn't burning, exploding or caved in then by all means enter
• Private Property = I'm a private person so I qualify
• Men at work = What? Are you talking to me? You must mean that guy on the bicycle.
• Caution: Military Bombing Zone = new trail each time
• Beware of Dog = Bring a new friend and have him go first
• Road Closed = No vehicle fumes..score!

The list goes on and on...got in 12 miles yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Why do I feel like I was the impetus to this post? :) Come on, it's not like those construction workers forced us off the trail at gun point. The only signs I really pay attention to are: Warning, trespassers will be shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that was one of the most fun runs i've been on. It wasn't the first time that I had jumped a fence or passed by a no trespassing sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! What about all of the signs that say "don't pee here".

    What is that you say? There are no signs that ever say that? GAME ON!

    ReplyDelete