Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Race Day Countdown

Saturday marks the official kick-off/return to the racing circuit. The Riverton Half Marathon occurs this Saturday at 9:00 am. I'm excited for the race and to see where I am in my running. It's been a tough off season. Training has been a challenge, nutrition has been an even greater challenge, but I'm ready to be back in the regular training/running routine.

I knocked out a 5 1/2 mile run today in a 42 minute time. If I keep my pace at an average 8 min/mile then I will definitely PR this race. The course has enough hills that I will have to run faster than 8 min/mile on the flat and downhill sections to make up for the hills.

I have a couple options for the race.
1. PR in 1:45 or less
2. Finish close to my 1:49:52 that is my current PR
3. Find my sister, stay with her and then hit Carl's Jr. after the race

The weather is supposed to be clear. Friday a storm will pass through and cool things off, but Saturday race time will probably be 40 degrees or a little warmer if the sun is out.

I've not heard much about this race. They cap it at 500 and as of Monday they had 325 signed up. With that many signed up there opens a possible age group award. It all depends on who shows up.

2 comments:

  1. I managed 5 1/2 miles today too, but my knees are killing me. I'll have to see how I feel Saturday morning before I decide on my race strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn it, I wish I would have seen this BEFORE the race. Hope that you had a good one and that you were able to have a thick burger for me @ Hardees! (it will always be Hardees to me)

    ReplyDelete